Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Ok...so I've started writing this blog about half an hour ago...and I got 2 sentences down before I got distracted by my nephews playing and asking me all kinds of quesitons. I'm on vacation right now with the family in what is typically sunny Florida. However, tonight the rain has made a very big appearance keeping us all indoors and away from walking on the beach at night and looking for some crabs like the kids love to do. What makes ME sad the most about it is that I was going to go and get a nice strong drink at the bar near the beach to help me keep some sanity! If you know my family, you'll know why the alcohol is essential...especially when we travel together!

We left home on Sunday...bright and early! The way I like to move! It's my entire family minus my dad who had to work and hadn't earned enough vacation days for his comfort since he started a new job back in Feb. The travel party includes my mom, abuela, both of my sisters, my brother in law and their 3 kids along with one of my sister's friends. I drove down to Seaside with my older sister and her family. I should have known then that it was going to be a long trip. Before I had even taken my seat in the van, my nephews and niece had been scarfing down on some donuts. Sugar rush...the rush ends quickly...restart it with another donut! That's the cycle they stuck to...and the kids got antsy! I never knew kids actually asked every 2 minutes "Are we there yet??"...I just thought it was from The Simpsons or something!

Anyhow, we make it to Seaside early...nearly an hour before we were able to check in and get settled in the house. My mother and I go to check in and this is where my mother begins doing what she does best...becoming one of those customers I hate having to deal with! First she asks if there's a military discount and there is! Cool! I'm paying for half the trip so extra money in my pocket is always welcomed! So I get my grandmother's military ID from her and run back inside to get things taken care of. So we get to the house and it looks awesome from the outside! Looks like a house with a lighthouse on top! Sweet!!! But...this is the classic case of "Don't judge a book by it's cover"!

The house itself is awesome! But the stuff inside? Looks like I'm visiting a great grandmother's home complete with blankets everywhere...you know...in case you get cold sitting in the sun on the beach...in 85 degree weather with 95% humidity! Anyhow...the funishings don't bug me...but they bug my mom...a lot. Add to that the place isn't very clean with cobwebs and dust allover the tables. Keep in mind, we were told we couldn't check in early because they were still cleaning the house. Anyhow...my mom makes a big list of things that are "wrong" with the house to take to the rental office. She apparently made a big enough stink to get them to take 15% off...I don't know if that's in addition to the military discount and I'm not sure if I want to know. Yeah, I know we're not paying as much but I personally hate customers who keep digging and digging to get as much free stuff as possible. So I guess I feel bad for the folks who had to deal with my mom...Lord knows she can be a scary woman!

Anyhow, we've seemed to have gotten settled now...we're enjoying the beach...swimming in the pool...having a good ol' time. Then the fighting begins. There's been so many fights I can't even remember what the first one was. All I know is that the kids fight with each other! They fight with my little sister! My sisters start fighting! I know there were more fights and more yelling but my head has been such a jumbled mess that I can't remember it all! There's just too much tension! I am on vacation right?!? Just what I wanted for a nice relaxing time! UGH!!!!

So today I was super happy to have a great relaxing day!! It started out with some beach time...for about 20 minutes before I started feeling the raindrops! So we all ran back to the house before the skies opened where I picked up my book, carried it to a quiet spot in the house and dug right on in! About an hour later, the threat of rain had left so I hit the pool with my older sister and my niece...who just out of the blue decided she was going to start swimming with no floatie or anything to keep her above the water! Awesome!! And she's so cute when she does it!! 3 years old! Jumping from the side of the pool into the water and paddling to her mom!! Granted she needs to work on her kicking so she doesn't sink...but I'm proud!!

After the pool we came back home where I grabbed my book and sat on the roof and read for another hour or so. I then started feeling some rain drops hitting me so I went inside and took a freakishly long bath in the jacuzzi tub...with my book! Ah...what a rejuvinating thing that is! From there I went back to the deck on the tower to read! And read! With the sun blazing down and a nice breeze blowing, I feel asleep up there for almost an hour...listening to the ipod. Woke up...had some dinner and just relaxed!!

Damn...what a great afternoon! I highly recommend it to everyone!!! And I didn't even need any alcohol!

No comments:

Post a Comment