Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stupid Stubborness!

So I friggin' love facebook right? I mean, where else can I keep up with all of my friends who I don't get to chat with all that often? It's a great way to see what everyone's been up to and makes it easy to maintain those contacts. Afterall, that's what networking sites are for, right?

Tonight, I came home from work, fired up my computer, checked my email, then immediately headed over to facebook to see what the rest of my little world was up to - my typical routine. I'll check my notifications, poke who I need to poke, maybe trout slap someone in the process then click on Status Updates to see what's happened in the last 12 hours with my nearest and dearest.

Ok, before I go any further, anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE LOVE LOVE college football! I was born and raised on the Auburn Tigers! For as long as I can remember, I've known the words to the fight song, gone to football games, went to school there for a while...essentially, I bleed orange and blue! (Thanks Dad) Yesterday was the National Championship game for NCAA football - played between Florida and Oklahoma. Neither team had been undefeated this year, but that's not uncommon with the way the BCS is set up currently - year after year, teams that are undefeated are left out of the national championship game. Why? Simply because they might be a smaller school or in a lesser known conference. That doesn't sound very fair right? For the last 10 years or so (however long this current system has been in play) legions of college football fans lament each fall about the unfair nature of the system - and in my mind (and millions more), rightfully so. But I digress...

Back to facebook: I'm checking status updates when I come across one status that says "last time i checked, the president didn't have the authority to change the structure of college football. wtf obama?" This status update (if you can call it that) was based upon what Obama said after being interviewed following Florida's win on Thursday. (If you'd like to read more, go here http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/09/political.football/index.html and see for yourself) He simply stated what many college football fans have said for years - that there needs to be a playoff system. In the article, it also states how republican memebers of congress have introduced "The College Football Playoff Act of 2008".

What bothered me about this post was the fact that Obama was viewed as overstepping his bounds by giving his opinion - one that is probably very popular with many college football fans. However, since it's suggested by our president-elect, it's automatically a bad idea to my very Republican friend. Nevermind the fact that Republicans in CONGRESS are the ones trying to change the "structure of football!" I'm sure if she had seen that first, then it would have been the best idea in the history of the world - or at least the Southeast! So what if Obama thinks it should change! If he can help make it happen, then good! Yes we can change the way the game is played! Yes we can!

So that's my beef today. If something is a good idea, then it's a good idea! Just because so and so says it's a good idea doesn't make it one (or a bad idea for that matter). Whatever happened to judging things based on what they are and not where they come from? Sheesh!

3 comments:

  1. I think it's so funny how different your blog is from mine. With yours, you have to think about the current issues... you need intelligence. With mine, I think readers lose intelligence...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO - Emily, your posts are way more entertaining, I promise. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just glad you are ranting! So I am not the only one just ranting and raving and being all pissy!

    ReplyDelete